When we started myBrewerytap one of the first things we did was to become a supplier associate member of SIBA (Society of Independent Brewers). SIBA are the main body which represents Independent UK brewers, we had contacted their entire list of members in setting up the site so it seemed right that we should join up for the networking potential.
We decided when approached that it would be beneficial to attend SIBA's annual national conference which was being held for the 2nd year running at the Holiday Inn, Stratford upon Avon.
I headed down from West Yorkshire early on the Thursday morning, not really knowing what to expect but very hopeful I'd at least meet a few brewers and get to drink some decent beer.
After a two and a half hour journey I arrived at the venue and found we'd been allocated a small table within the trade stands area towards the back of the conference hall. I was very pleased to shortly after be joined by our member of staff Katherine who was down to help out for the day.
After I'd set our stand up and before the conference started I had a quick look round to see which other businesses were represented. As you might imagine at a brewers conference the main trade exhibitors were Keg/Bottle suppliers, Maltsters and Hop suppliers. It was great for this non-brewer to see big bags of hops and help myself to a beer (later the next day) on the Charles Faram hop stand made with a new experimental type of hops. I also made sure I picked up plenty of contact info for the brewing project I'm hoping to be involved in later this year.
The format for the conference was a bit strange from an exhibitors point of view. The trade stands are within the conference hall, meaning any exhibitors have to be quiet while speakers are addressing the conference. Any discussions/selling need to take place before the conference starts, in the breaks between speakers or at the end of the day when the conference has finished. This meant a relaxed pace to the event and a much friendlier inclusive feel than other trade exhibitions I've been to in the past.
These time windows were still plenty of time to meet brewers and discuss what we could offer them. Without exception myBrewerytap was well received and it was brilliant to meet some of the breweries who've supported the business from the beginning. It was a great experience to meet and talk to so many brewers and breweries and a real confidence boost to get positive feedback from them.
Around 3pm the conference was actually partitioned from the trade stands so that the AGM could commence, I took this as an opportunity to sample one or two halfs of the beers on offer outside the main hall (@ £0.75 a half) and chat with any "speaker weary' members hanging around outside. After the AGM and the trade stands had closed down for the day there was more opportunity for networking at the "Chairmans Reception" held in the main conference hall complete with free bar. The night progressed steadily and myself and some newly acquainted brewers headed over the road to The Bear for some food and more beers. A surprisingly good meal, lots of great conversation and a night cap of Alesmith IPA (I'd brought down with me), rounded off a great day, and it was time to get some rest.
Fridays format was much the same as Thursdays, with the annual SIBA awards ceremony at the end of the afternoon followed by the members dinner in the evening. To be honest, after the nights excesses I wasn't feeling quite as enthusiastic about beer as I had been 24 hours earlier but still managed to have some meaningful conversations and meet some new breweries/brewers. Unfortunately due to family constraints I wasn't able to stay for the dinner and would be heading back home at the end of the afternoon. I listened to the awards ceremony while quietly packing the stand down and after a few handshakes and goodbyes, headed wearily back up the M1 into the Friday rush hour traffic.
I was pretty apprehensive before the conference, I had no idea how we'd be received as a business and was nervous at the prospect of meeting breweries and selling our business to them. As is often the case there was no reason for me to worry, our business model was very well received and I feel there was a massive benefit in attending. Email and telephone are great but they are no substitute to actually meeting people in person, and chatting over a beer or two.
As I've mentioned before the brewing trade is an unusually friendly business, and as Pete Brown alluded to in his recent post on the conference here, where else would you get competing businesses in the same room openly admiring and complimenting each others products?
I've come away from the two conference days, with renewed confidence and optimism for the future of our new business. I'm really pleased with the way things are going and without going into specifics I'm confident that our customers can look forward to some brilliant new breweries and beers on the site in the coming months.
Roll on next year...!
A full list of this years SIBA winning breweries/beers can be found here
It was a pleasure to heighten your enjoyment with my drunken waffle. :o)
ReplyDeleteI was gonna do the blog post around meeting you but I thought you might not like the attention..
ReplyDelete