
The Golden Pints are an online awards initiative started last year, it's your chance to talk about the beers you've enjoyed, beery places you've been and say what you've enjoyed about beer in 2010. As far as I know there are no physical awards but its a nice way to recognise great beer and breweries and hand a bit of credit out where it's due.
Post your winners to the following categories in the replies below.
My Golden Pint winners for 2010 are as below...
Best UK Draught Beer: Marble Manchester Bitter, so much flavour for the ABV I could drink it all day long.
Best UK Bottled Beer: Marble Dobber/BrewDog Hardcore, the new bottled Marble Dobber meant I could have my favourite cask beer at home in a bottle. Delicious grapefruity beer which never fails to satisfy. Brewdogs new Hardcore was a revelation, a genuine US double IPA which beat the yanks at their own game at the 2010 World Beer Cup to take the gold. Try it, its incredible.
Best Overseas Draught Beer: Odell IPA / Jever. Odell's IPA is one of my absolute favourites from probably my favourite style. I drank a lot of IPA's this year, Odells version is so fruity and so easy drinking. I had the draught version recently at the Euston Tap and loved it. Jever was also a lager I'd never had on draught until recently but I love its crisp refreshing dry hoppyness. Great to drink for a break in the middle of a session.
Best Overseas Bottled Beer: Stone Sublimely Self Righteous Ale. Amazing cross over of two styles, this beer is almost overwhelming in its full on flavour attack. Massive piney, resinousy hops alongside a roasted, malty, chocoloatey body.
Best Overall Beer: Marble Dobber. Grapefuity, tropical, amazing...
Best Pumpclip or Label: Brewdog Bashah reserve. Another beautifully intricate hand drawn label from Johanna Basford.
Best UK Brewery: Marble. Beers which never fail to deliver flavour wise. It doesn't matter what else is on the bar 99 times out of 100 the Marble will have more flavour.
Best Overseas Brewery: Bear Republic. For their beautifully full bodied IPA's 'Racer 5 and Hop Rod Rye" which I had this year, which have more of a caramel malt charachter than many IPA's alongside the obligatory, pungent, piney hops.
Pub/Bar of the Year: The Grove, Huddersfield. 18 Handpulls, 12 Keg and over 230 bottles. Sheffield Tap. Beautiful pub ressurected from the old waiting rooms at Sheffield station, always has a number of Thornbridge beers as well as great guests and loads of bottles. Always look forward to a visit.
Beer Festival of the Year: GBBF, I thought it was rubbish the year before mainly because I wasn't keen on gravity fed beer, enjoyed it so much more this year. So much beer, so many beery people. It all passed in a very enjoyable blur..
Supermarket of the Year: Morrisons. because they sell BrewDog 5am Saint.
Independent Retailer of the Year: Beer Ritz. Because they got me addicted to hops.
Online Retailer of the Year: myBrewerytap
Best Beer Book or Magazine: Ben Mcfarland, Worlds Best Beers. I received this last Christmas day and spent most of that day with my head in it. Really nicely written, laid out and accessible to the layman. Its got great information and beer recommendations, and a section on beer and food matching. Its also particularly good on the US stuff.
Best Beer Blog or Website: Are you tasting the pith/Pencil and Spoon. Zaks blog is always worth a read, informative, interesting and engaging. Likewise Marks prolific blog is always an entertaining and erudite read.
Best Beer Twitterer: @dogmair. Because he's a nice bloke oh and he keeps swapping incredible beer with me.
Best Brewery Online: BrewDog. They do online so much better than anyone else in the UK.
Food and Beer Pairing of the Year: Biltong and anything. Not much of a food and beer matching person.
In 2011 I’d Most Like To…: Sell more beer
Open Category: Best overseas bar visited: Studio Square, Queens, NY. Have a read of my blog on New York here for why..
No comments:
Post a Comment